We use cookies to give you the best browsing experience possible. Continuing to use the site, even remaining on this page, you consent to the use of cookies.

The history of the Caproni Museum

Since its first years of activity, Caproni decided the provision within the Vizzola workshops and Taliedo some among his most important aircraft, instead of proceeding to their disposal and reuse of materials for other buildings.

In 1927, thanks to wife Thymine breakdowns, it matured in the Foundation of the Museum: the oldest example of corporate National Museum and at the same time the oldest aeronautical institution in the world.

Character of refined culture, Thymine Caproni with airplanes the first collections of documents, books, pictures and memorabilia.

In 1931, in the preface to volume "Francesco Zambeccari aeronaut", described the Mission of the Museum: "ingenuity and human activity have no limits, and nowadays, victory for the great exploits of a new pilot, becomes tomorrow in historical memory. Then the Museum's Office is treating the search for books, prints, drawings, medals, models, and how it relates to these subsequent conquests, because the strenuous stages of new invention always remain alive in the memory of posterity ".

In 1934 was held at the Palazzo dell'Arte, Milan the Italian Air Force Display, a spectacular collection of over twenty years of aviation evolution in Italy, designed and organized under the leadership of some of the most talented artists of the moment, and rewarded by a huge success. Gianni Caproni there exhibited important memorabilia of his Museum like Ca. 6 biplane, Ca. 18 monoplane and biplane bomber, Ca. 36. The success of the Exhibition was born to be in Milan a National Aeronautics Museum, but his lack of production caused the Caproni Museum remained for several decades the only reality in Italy dedicated to the collection, preservation and exhibition of artifacts of aviation history.

Meanwhile, at the end of the 1930s, the Museum's first exhibition was opened to the public in a shed of Taliedo. In 1940, in this space, were placed the Caproni Ca. 1, Ca. 6, Caproni Bristol, Ca. 18, Ca. 20, Ca. 22, Ca. 36 m, Ca. 42, Ca. 53, Ca. 60 items, Ansaldo SVA 11777 No. 5 by Gino Allegri, the CNA Eta, the fuselage of the Fokker d.VIII, three Gabardini (two monoplanes, including hydro one and a biplane G. 51), the fuselage of a Macchi-Nieuport 29 and a Roland VIb, a section of Siemens Schuckert d.IV, three ships of airships, the reconstruction of Leonardo da Vinci's ornithopter, plus an unquantifiable number of models, engines, propellers and various exhibits.

During World War II, he established the de-centralization of delicate materials, but the museums suffered equally important losses.

After World War II airplanes were deposited at Venegono Superiore, while the whole documentary part was kept in Rome.

In the 1960s the aircraft survived the war, which in the meantime had added important acquisitions, were again exposed to the public within the Vizzola workshops.

The landing of the current Museum location is derived from an agreement signed in 1988, with which the Caproni family – as a result of the closure of companies and, consequently, of the Museum of Vizzola – put the collection on loan to the autonomous province of Trento for exposing in a new museum dedicated structure named after great Western aviation pioneer. The Museo dell'aeronautica Gianni Caproni, in his new Office at the airport of Bolzano, opened to the public on October 3, 1992.

Over the years we have also had agreements with the Italian air force, the historical Museum of the war of Rovereto, under which have been entrusted to the Caproni Museum various aircraft including, in July 1993, the Savoia Marchetti SM79 three recovered in Lebanon from 2° Gruppo Aircraft Maintenance of Guidonia air force.

In 2012, on the occasion of the twentieth anniversary of the reopening of the Museum in Trento, the autonomous province of Trento has an agreement with the Caproni family for the purchase of the collection "Caproni", which has become so public goods no longer assignable.