We use cookies to give you the best browsing experience possible. Continuing to use the site, even remaining on this page, you consent to the use of cookies.

Giovanni Battista Caproni was born in Massone di Arco on 3 July 1886 from father Giuseppe, a land surveyor, and mother Paolina Maini. After primary school, young Gianni attended the Royal School "Elisabettina di Rovereto", and later continued to the Engineering School of Monaco di Baviera where he graduated as a civil engineer on 10 August 1908. He therefore moved to Liege, where he signed up to an electro technical school until 31 October 1909; this was where he met Rumanian Coanda, who focused on aviation studies. After his studies, Caproni travelled to Paris to find a sponsor and international contacts that could help him achieve his primary objective, the construction of his first aircraft.

In 1909, he returned to Arco, where he began building his first aircraft with the help of his brother Federico and some local craftsmen. This prototype, later named Ca.1, flied for the first time on 27 May 1910 at the Cascina Malpensa, in the land of Somma Lombardo. Towards the end of 1910, after moving his business in the neighbouring Vizzola Ticino, Caproni faced three years of economic difficulties that led to several variations in the nature of the business, culminating in the sale of his workshops to the government. However, these first years of Caproni's career were characterised by fervent building activities and by the transition between biplane and monoplane. Biplane Ca.6 and monoplane Ca.9 are a symbol of this period; they are both on display at the Aeronautical Museum "Gianni Caproni".

Read more

Since its first years of activity, Caproni decided the provision within the Vizzola workshops and Taliedo some among his most important aircraft, instead of proceeding to their disposal and reuse of materials for other buildings.

In 1927, thanks to wife Thymine breakdowns, it matured in the Foundation of the Museum: the oldest example of corporate National Museum and at the same time the oldest aeronautical institution in the world.

Character of refined culture, Thymine Caproni with airplanes the first collections of documents, books, pictures and memorabilia.

In 1931, in the preface to volume "Francesco Zambeccari aeronaut", described the Mission of the Museum: "ingenuity and human activity have no limits, and nowadays, victory for the great exploits of a new pilot, becomes tomorrow in historical memory. Then the Museum's Office is treating the search for books, prints, drawings, medals, models, and how it relates to these subsequent conquests, because the strenuous stages of new invention always remain alive in the memory of posterity ".

Approfondisci